In Defense of Fantasy


This week something big happened in my little world. Someone I admire helped to share my artwork with more than 25,000 people. I suppose this particular piece is considered fan art but I never imagined what would happen when a community of my fellow Game of Thrones readers and watchers caught sight of it. With prompting by my genius husband, I originally made this for our two sons (and for us) to hang in their play room. I painted different elements from Harry Potter, Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings and turned them into a decorative drop cap to go with deeply moving words about fantasy and the role that these stories play in our real lives. The words on my poster are from The Raven’s Scroll segment of the final Game of Thrones "Binge Mode" podcast of Season 7, and the 67th binge mode podcast for The Ringer Staff Writer, Jason Concepcion and Deputy Editor, Mallory Rubin. Below is the link to listen to the full podcast but for those who have not caught up, you can skip to the 01:35:13 mark (roughly 10 mins from the end) for The Raven’s Scroll.
  You can also read the full scroll here


If you watch Game of Thrones you will understand the reason for Jason’s words. If you love and embrace fantasy stories from George R.R. Martin, J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, and Diana Gabaldon to name a few of my favorites, then you will more importantly feel the meaning of his words. Ran and I cried right along with Jason and Mal and all of their listeners.

In the words of Albus Dumbledore, “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light” and we are thankful for Binge Mode for shedding light on a world that seems very dark these days.

For those of you who have expressed interest in buying a print, I am happy to share that it is now available in my Etsy shop. I tried to keep costs down as I really had no intention of making money from this. In fact, if you have a way to print it at home or turn it into your computer screen saver, by all means use this link to download the PDF.

Comments