Free web background resources and working with patterns in Photoshop

I'm designing a blog for a local writer and one of her criteria is an Indian-style pattern element. I went on a google search for free web backgrounds and came across The Ultimate List Sources for Free Background Patterns at instantshift.com. I ended up choosing a site called bgpatterns.com to create my pattern. I like this site because you can adjust the pattern icon, size, color, texture and opacity in their user-friendly pattern generator. I've included some screen captures from my process here:

1. Select your pattern icon.

2. Select the color.

3. Adjust the texture and/or opacity.

4. Download your pattern.

Creating the pattern in Photoshop

1. Open your pattern download in Photoshop. Click Edit > Define Pattern. Name it whatever you want. Close the file.

2. Click File > New to create the canvas for your background pattern. Make it big - like 1400 pixels by 1400 pixels.
3. Click Edit > Fill and then "pattern" from the drop down menu. Select your pattern.

4. Click OK and your pattern will fill the canvas.

Comments