Crafts for your weekend: DIY appliquéd onesies

If you are like me, you feel the need (pressure?) to be the gal who gives that precious, hand-made, unique and colorful baby gift to your new mommy friend. And, if you are really like me, you also feel guilty when you turn to the registry because you can't find the time or instructions on how to produce the aforementioned amazing gift.
Then my friend Carolyn brought light to my life when she shared her latest craft project with me, appliquéd onesies. Before I could gasp, "you should be a fashion designer for Baby Gap," she produced the source for her inspiration – a wonderful DIY craft book for baby things called B is for Baby. I love this book! It's filled with oodles of ideas and templates. To save yourself a second trip after your visit to Amazon or the book store, the supplies you will need for this project are:

  • Solid-color onesies
  • Fabric scraps in contrasting colors and patterns to onesies
  • Mild detergent, such as Woolite®
  • Cardstock for making the templates (templates are in the book or you can use clip art)
  • Pen
  • 1/8-in mini hole punch
  • Fine-tipped scissors
  • Iron and ironing board
  • HeatBond® Ultrahold iron-on adhesive

I know a few moms-to-be for whom this particular project would be an excellent gift. These would also work for toddler tee's too. Heck, I think I would like a little pink turtle tee just for myself. More pictures from Carolyn's appliquéd onesie project are below. I also love her packaging - cute as a button!

Comments

  1. Adorable!! I definitely want to make these now. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun.

    you are truly talented.

    i LOvE seeing what you write.

    i get all excited when you post.

    -ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much for your wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were the easiest things in the world to make! All you need is some fabric, some double sided iron on stuff, and a onsie. Then cut out your cute design and iron away!

    I asked my friend who received these as a gift how they fared through the wash. Unfortunately, one of her little appliques came off (the letter "h"), but the other three have stayed on. I'm toying around with some simple stitching to see if it adds to the durability. But let's face it, babies grow so fast and have so many cute clothes for those first three months, that they probably won't wear it more than once anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment