Makarapas: the quieter craft of the World Cup

Sports Illustrated just published a fun article called World Cup Makarapas: The Anti-Vuvuzela. Makarapa means "helmet" in the South African language of Fanakalo. Because there are 11 official languages in South Africa,  Fanakalo was a developed as a universal language for miners. The Makarapa (worn by my husband and me above) began with a South African man named Alfred Baloyi. The below quote from Baloyi is an excerpt from Grant Wahl's article in Sports Illustrated. A photo of the artist is also below.
“In 1979, I was at the stadium when somebody threw a bottle and hit someone on the head,” Baloyi told me. “At the time I was working at the city council of Pretoria. They gave me a helmet, and I drew my favorite player on it. Then from there we did more things to make the makarapa. When the people liked it, I made more.”

Okay so stadium violence aside (and thank goodness for the development of the plastic beer bottle), it's very inspiring that this man turned his craft into a nation-wide trend. If vuvuzelas are banned from MLS games then bring on the soundless, silly Makarapas. Let's make Baloyi's crafts go global!

Comments

  1. Your next craft day should be making Philadelphia Union makarapas. Nothing says Philadelphia better than a construction hat, well other than a tattoo probably.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment