Crafts for your weekend: DIY Chunky Crayons

This craft project comes from my sister Sarah. Whether you have kids or not, I think we can all relate to the problem with old, broken crayons. As a child, I never enjoyed a coloring experience past the first attempt to sharpen a crayon with the flimsy crayon sharpener in the back of the box. As an adult, I can't bring myself to throw 'em out but I have had them in the same zip lock back for years, not touched since that first break. Finally, now I know what to do with them - make chunky crayons!

Supplies:
The "unwanted" crayons (old, broken, cracked, etc)
Silicon, oven-safe muffin mold (You can also use regular muffin pans as long as you line them with aluminum foil)
1.  Remove paper wrapping from a bunch of old, broken crayons


2.  Break up the crayons and place into a mold
3.  Melt in oven for about 10 minutes at 275 degrees F (Keep a close eye on the crayons so they don't burn)

4.  Place mold in freezer for about 15 minutes for the new crayons to harden
5.  Now you have big, chunky, colorful crayons - perfect for toddlers to scribble with! I think they'll also make great little gifts for my artist friends.

Comments