DIY Journal with Handmade Paper

Last week I shared my tutorial on how to make paper. This week I decided to make something with my new handmade paper – a journal! Because of the texture of my handmade paper, it's not really the best writing surface so I used it as the journal cover. I used my paper trimmer to cut off the jagged edges on the sides. When folded, the cover size is about 5.5" x 7.5"
I used rice paper for the interior sheets. Measure the spreads to be slightly smaller than the flat size of the cover. To keep the rough edges of the rice paper, use a straight edge to rip the paper to size. Tear at least 3 sheets (= 6 pages).
Place the unfolded sheets of rice paper on top of the unfolded cover. With an embroidery needle and thread, begin to bind the pages together with a running stitch down the center of the journal. Start with a knot at the inside top and work your way down to the bottom. I finished with a knot on the inside. There are other cool ways you can stitch journals together. This is the simplest technique but I am going to try a new one next week and share my results with you.

Comments