Inspiring Creativity at The Philly Swap

If you live in the Philadelphia area, the Philly Swap is a must-do for you next year! I really didn't know what to expect. "Glorified clothing swap" was the phrase I kept hearing. It was that and more. Held in the gorgeous Urban Outfitters Headquarters (or URBN as all the cool kids call it), the Swap was overflowing with piles and piles of clothes for men, women, teens, kids, and babies. And it was organized! Teams of volunteers were on hand to separate piles and help you shop. There was a VIP section where one could go and get style advice and custom fittings for newly swapped clothes. I arrived at 10:30 that morning to find that my friend Michelle (one of the organizers of the Swap) had placed me at a prime traffic location. I was right by the door to the waterfront and the very popular silk screening stations. Around 1PM, about an hour in, while people were "getting their swap on" I was definitely getting my craft on. The rush lasted until about 4 so the day absolutely flew by. I met a lot of great people as they came to my table to either ask questions or try some of my crafts. My craft table had two sections: fabric gift tags with freezer paper stencils and make-your-own cards with different kinds of stamps. I went through all 50 of my prepared fabric stencils. Some people even started to make their own stencils and paint directly onto their Swap clothes. I loved how people's imaginations took over and went in all sorts of fun directions. It was an incredibly rewarding experience to share my craft ideas and inspire creativity in others. Can't wait for next year - and I hope to see some of you there!

Comments