On the Tudor Trail - blog design and illustration

I am very excited to share my latest illustration and blog design project. I hinted at it when I wrote this post but I wanted to wait until Natalie, the author of On the Tudor Trail, announced her new look. Natalie came to me in need of a new background image and header for her site. As soon as she told me of her vision to incorporate Anne Boleyn's Book of Hours into the design I was hooked. Some (my husband) might call me obsessed with Tudor England.

After drawing the flowers to match the original book, I transferred my sketch to watercolor paper where I used watercolor and gouache to achieve the bright colors. Lastly, I scanned my painting into Photoshop and turned it into a background image for the blog. Before and after screen captures of the site are below.
Before
After
The quote on the right of the blog header is a beautiful couplet that Anne wrote to Henry in a response to one of his many love letters:

By daily proof you shall me find
To be to you both loving and kind.

If you are interested in Tudor England, On the Tudor Trail is an excellent read. Overflowing with information and fun facts, On the Tudor Trail features author interviews, book reviews, ghost stories, places to visit and tons of resources about Tudor England and the wives of Henry VIII. You can find On the Tudor Trail on Facebook too!

Photos of my painting process:




Comments

  1. Dear Kate,

    I cannot thank you enough for your creativity and hard work! I am so happy with it and have received a lot of positive feedback. Seeing these pictures of the work in progress is great. You are very talented!

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Natalie. I really enjoyed working with you and I too love the end result. Hope we get to collaborate again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment