How to create a linen texture in Photoshop

This is a postcard design that I have been working on for my job at University City District. I created the "produce" illustration using watercolor and gouache. After I finished the layout, I decided I needed to add a little depth to the plain background. My latest accomplishment is learning how to create a linen texture in Photoshop. The steps are below.

1. Create a new CMYK document. I like to start with file size that is larger than my printed piece. For this tutorial, I made mine 8" x 8" at 300 dpi. This way, I know my background image will be high resolution at the full size of my printed piece. Fill the background with a yellow or tan "linen" color.
2. Copy the background layer.
3. Select Layer 1 and go to Filter > Add noise. Enter the settings shown below:
4. Still on Layer 1, go to Filter > Motion Blur. Enter the settings shown below:
5. For the linen effect, copy layer 1 into a 2nd layer. Rotate layer 2 90 degrees. Set the style of layer 2 to "overlay." Adjust the opacity of layers 1 and 2 to 50% for a softer look.
Layer 2, rotated 90 degrees.
Layer 2, with the layer adjusted to "overlay."
6. Flatten the image and crop out the edges where the pattern isn't blended. You can adjust the color of your linen artwork. Go to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation. Click "colorize" in the Hue/Saturation dialogue box before you adjust the numbers.
Note: If you are familiar with importing artwork into InDesign, you can also just make an entirely grayscale image and change the colors in InDesign.

Comments

  1. Hello, Just wanted to say how much I appreciate your tip! This is a great site and I really appreciate your tutorials and tips! I'll be sure to let my friends, on the Photoshop forums, know about this great place!!
    -Kara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment