DIY Hand-stitched Fabric Valentine's Day Cards

I love combining fabric and paper in my handmade notecards. This project is a really simple way to create a decorative and elaborate-looking Valentine's Day card. You don't need a sewing machine but it does help in the creation of uniform lines.

Without thread, I used my sewing machine to pierce a line of holes down the right side of a piece of card stock. I chose the zig zag stitch line but straight would look nice too. I ran the holes down the length of the paper, leaving about a half inch at the top and bottom. I did the same thing on the left side of the paper.
Next, I cut a heart shape out of a swatch of fabric using my pinking shears. Then I separated two strands of embroidery thread from their original 6 pack and threaded my needle.
After tying the ends of the thread together in a knot, I began to stitch my paper by starting from the back and using a back-stitch technique.
When I got about a quarter of the way down the paper, I placed my fabric heart onto the paper and included it in my stitching. Once I reached the bottom of the card, I tied a knot on the back side of the paper.
After I finished the stitching on both sides, I trimmed my card to be a little smaller and glued it on top of a yellow piece of paper. I then glued that onto a blank folded card and my Valentine's Day card was ready for action.

Comments